Friday 26 October 2012

Chad Gowey Illustrations

After having a look into the game 'Shadow of the Colossus' (I will post research on that later) I stumbled across the artists Chad Gowey ( http://www.chadgowey.com/) who did this amazing illustration.


I looked further into his work and found he had done a few conceptual ideas that revolved around horses which are very inspiring and can teach me a lot.




His work especially brings composition and focus points into his pieces. The tilted angle of the viewer (the 'camera angles') makes it, although feel somewhat surreal in a sense- but also more realistic as it is not just a more blunt pan down image that would be taken with a crane rig. His images are engaging as well in sense of depth, we can really see what is in the foreground, while the background recedes away from us, lacking detail but focusing strongly on form; the silhouette. 


I would love to be able to achieve this with the illustrative beat boards which I will be doing for our final Game Pitch Presentation. 

Chad often uses water colours for his work, and I like wise did a lot of illustrational pieces in water colours before;




 These are pretty old, but they are still a good bit of work I suppose. Though the colours (especially on the first image) are very garish and bright. I think doing it via Photshop would help control the colours better. 
I will do my own beat boards in Photoshop as such, though maybe do a few little sketched out scenes in water colours too!


This is one of Chad Gowey's digital illustrations (for Assassins Creed) which has more intense colours I feel then his other works, though using many of the scanned textures he had made before (very obvious in the background of the right corner). 

His environmental work and character concepts are really effective as well. And Inspiring. 

 These are also show casing his use of angles again, and the pin point light is really successful. I will do a few studies with that in mind.



This character development work is also very valuable. But the style is a little too out of bounds of the style of the Medal of Honour themes. But the way it is developed is whats good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment