Friday 1 February 2013

What I plan to achieve; Overview Brief.



For this project I wish to diverse away from my usual style of drawing and working. As someone wanting to get better at 2D art for now, I feel a 2D platform game would be best. I plan to do a lot of 3D work for my next projects, so this may be my last opportunity to develop something for this media.

The main thing I wish to achieve is- Show Diversity of Colour and Design within a set Artistic Style that would then be taken into an Interactive Game.

 
That meaning; to be able to create many variations of a design while remaining within the perimeters of a set style. This is exactly what would be asked of me when working for a company; I need to be able to adapt myself to the style of the game or Studio while being diverse enough with colours, shapes and forms to stay interesting. It is also my chance to show that I can work in bulk, getting hundreds of designs and concepts out in a set amount of time. Usually I would work on one piece slowly, this is now a challenge to be able to produce lots of artwork of a decent standard (Not sketches or Roughs)

The use of these characters could be utilized for online comics, soft toy plushies, an animated web show and more, but the main purpose of them would be for use in an interactive game. Most likely for a handheld platform of say a Nintendo DS, a smart phone or a tablet. I would also like to have it online (like Neopets or Dragon City- a Face book game) so it must be accessible for both touch screen, mouse and touch pad use. 

As someone who is usually of a dark horror genre of art, (War Hammer, Doom Series etc) I think this would be a prime exercise to move away from that for a little while and into something based for younger children (i.e. No bloody gore soaked monsters from the depths of a chaos infused hell... As fun as that could be). This is a chance for me to become more varied again; my main desire with my art. To show I am diverse, adaptable and comfortable with trying new things. Many of my peers are of the set style. They don't want to move away from what they have and like to stick to it in different mediums even. This is not the sort of artist I feel I am. And I want to show I can adapt myself into a cuter looking genre of art. 

I will be using Game Salad to help make my interactive qualities, making a small demo that I will likely then upload onto Youtube for my tutors and peers to look at. 

I have been learning Game Salad from online tutorials and the User Manual, with help from Lee on site. 

At first I was tentative about the program, but now I feel it would be a great way to utilize my work in a simple but fresh way. It may be limiting my options for the game, but for this Module it will be my best option to make a nice neat little demo. 


Here are all the Links one needs to learn Game Salad. 


Game Salad Manual (MAC)




Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment