Thursday 9 February 2012

Contextual studies update

Should rly of posted this before but oh well, might as well now in the mornings.


Contextual Studies. First draft.

Katie Gilman



My interests and what I feel I am progressing toward currently is a career in Concept Art within Games and possibly TV and more likely Film. I adore creating art work of all kinds; be it fantastic beasts, space ships, medieval armour, robot alien battle suits and the like. I spend a huge amount of time as well working with others on internal stories and projects. These stories are mostly not my own, and I am usually the one given a brief to turn into a fully fledged illustration rather then making up the story. I like doing the designing best however, so this suits me. This behaviour and mentality as well would suit a studio, who want their ideas to be brought to life, not have mine thrown upon them.

I find other people who wish to get into this career seem to think they can draw whatever they want, but I know I need to draw exactly what my customer wants. I have been completing commissions privately for around three years and I am very used to having followed a strict instructions. On my blog I have a recent example of revising a very simple sketch commission five times over before the final colouring could be applied. This was a tiresome process and sometimes frustrating when my customers ask for extra things, but the final product is well worth it; as well as obviously a happy client who then can go on to recommend me to others. This has already started giving me a good reputation, and as such I am now completing 3-6 commissions a week to help pay for food, and travel costs. I am so pleased that this part of my work is turning out well and I am learning very fast in terms of drawing skills and one to one working with clients which I sometimes do over Skype, letting them dictate as I draw what to do and what to change.



I know what I must do to become a good concept artist. Firstly, that I must clearly be good at drawing and illustration. To do that I must practise and I am already doing that as much as I possibly can. I draw basically on everything I can get my hands on and at all times, as I am sure many have noticed. I must also get myself a reputation and become better known within the industry. To do this is tricky and currently I go to a lot of Conventions and Expos to try gather people to me. I also am trying to get more well known on the Internet and am looking forward to creating a portfolio website of my work at the end of my course to show case my best pieces.

Something else I have recently been engaged with is Games Workshop and their WarHammer Franchise. Their models and conceptual art I very interesting to me and I have been getting involved with the community online (and in store at Norwich) to which I have received extremely positive feedback. I think it would be a good idea to try secure a simple store job within the Norwich branch and see where that could lead me on to. Any possibilities to get a ‘foot in the door’ in a creative studio I am keen to take up.



I understand fully how intensely difficult it is to get into this career. That there is merciless competition and a lot of hard laborious and often degrading work to do before securing a high end job that includes what I wish to do. But as someone who has already been up against negative feedback and many people trying to force me into other options, I am very clear on what I want. I have gotten this far, and I really do not want to give up now.

I have found that within the larger studios, it is people with great work and the ability to step outside of one single style are who art directors single out to work for them. A good education is important as well of course, but does not always mean the person with the most qualifications will be chosen to work for them.

Jonathan Bach is a great example of this, who left high school and went in to work as a car salesman.  But decided that drawing was what he really wanted, and went on to go to Art Center College of Design where he learnt many skills that have no propelled him to working for Star Wars live-action television series and films like Iron Man 2. This is very motivating and gives me a boast of enthusiasm that I too could make it as long as I have the drive and skills to back it.




However, this is something I am getting better at. I am being more social with friends within Uni and creating great new bonds with fellow students which also have extended to the Internet. As such, I am confident that this won’t be such a huge issue for me.

Overall I am pleased with my progression of work, not overly pleased; but content that I am making some head way into the career I am reaching for.

-Katie


Its 1039 words.I get the 10% margin so it should be fine. I did waffle a bit.

Here's the recent commission I had to do the five revisions for. I am not bothered really, but in future I will be sure to charge extra, and especially charge more for one to one conversation via Skype.

 First Draft, drawn using the commissioner's rough references done by other artists.
 He quickly picked up on not liking how I had done the snake body, that he wanted it to be 'fatter' looking rather then the more natural look I have done with my previous work here:

 He then asked for a hand reference as well, just like the one within this reference I had done earlier:

 Still I had to change little details, the head shape and so forth, making the muscles slightly larger and such. I also was told to do more extras once again. I abided but now regret doing so much work for one person. He has offered to 'tip' me slightly extra but I do not wish to send out another invoice and as such have declined, with the promise of more work for him later.

Please note these images have been cropped for customer privacy.

IN OTHER NEWS

I have been working with a friend. 'Nakoo', on designing a Commissar character for a certain story within the 40K universe, with other full illustrations of him to follow.
I was extremely excited by this, having a love of militarised uniforms but not many stories in which to divulge them fully. Dark Auto (Darkie) was my only other means of drawing uniforms, but as an android from space, in an already established universe- I couldn't go too far into war fare and practicable application. Sacrificing functionality for looks and a 'style' with his clothing.

I was provided with a nice selection of images to look at here, here and here with some great looks into the style uniform used in real life by different factions but most notably the Nazi's here. Despite their bad morality, their sense of style was defined- as it was designed by Calvin Klien supposedly.

We decided to first work with the facial features as a start. Getting those locked on then move on to hair arrangements and the uniform.
I did some quick facial studies which she then added notes to
She also suggested how the facial hair should be arranged. I was pleased things wee moving forward steadily and with a positive and light mood.
I will continue working on this as much as possible as it is great fun and a good learning experience.
Also I hope to be able to show case some of this work to Games Workshop- and maybe even get a small book arranged for them to see which may help stir interest in me as a good illustrator.
I have made books before which have sold well to those around me;

And I would love to do anouther more up to date one with these ideas.
Of course this isnt the first time I've done work with Warhammer stuff.
Heres some other things I have done, from both Warhammer and 40k



I need to do more however and look forward to completing more on this project in future.

Thats all for now. I shall update sometime again with an update on the pirate story me and Nami are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment