Tuesday 13 November 2012

Asasins Creed 3 Horses

After seeing the arrival of the new assassins creed game I eagerly sat down with my friends to play it and more importantly; to see the horses and game play mechanics.


What I found; instead of high quality art, anatomy and detailed design (like the human characters), was a bunch or horrible skinny, dog like animals that were parading around as horses. I do not joke when I say these are absolutely horrendous dream like envisions of horses coughed from the darkest area of game design. The heads were monster like and the legs far too skinny. Not only that but the horses rump stuck out ridiculously so and it was given a barrel chest (seen in dogs).
I very much doubt the person who made these horse meshes had even seen a real horse in the flesh, let alone bothered studying one from more then crude illustrations of horses.

Note the detail to the tack (saddle) and the people beside yet the terrible work on its legs and hooves which are in fact all the same blacked out mess.

Also the horses were completely smothered with bugs and problems. Mechanics and physics that clearly someone spent about 10 mins on. Our horse sat up on its feed tray... with its legs impaling its gut.
And a moment of looking online turned up the same exact problem over and over again for other players;



 As the horse stands like this, you can see how terrible the anatomy is- that the legs are able to come out from under the horse in the middle of its chest just shows how badly made these horses are.

 The way this horse walks past, with its strange rump and the tail that connects to where the butt of the horse should be and the even more saddening contrast to the detail and realism the people get just goes to show how game designers just don't give these important assets to the game any mind.
The general lack of research into horses was surprising to me and made me realize how much better my own stuff was in comparison. Bit of an ego boost. But made me wonder if there would be a place for me at Ubisoft to make their horses not look like giant greyhounds with hooves.


Look at the way it stares with its dead eyes.


Very relevant...

Crafting my own horse in Mudbox will be a much more detailed precess and I will be sure to get the bare basic understadning of horse anatomy within my creation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment